Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Motivation Lost…


 
OK I have a confession to make.


It’s no secret that Sarah and I are writing partners and are currently working on a new project. It’s an exciting new adventure and I’ve loved it every step of the way. (This is not the confession). 


The Confession: In the past three weeks I have written exactly ZERO words. (I guess after this blog post it will be somewhere between 200 and 500 words). 


It’s not because I don’t love the story we’re working on. I do. It’s funny, sweet, smart and has some AMAZING potential! 


It’s not because I’m having a hard time getting in touch with the characters. Nope! LOVE THEM!! All of them. I feel like I know them in and out. Even the minor ones. There are days when I have entire conversations with one of them in my head. 


Plot problems? Heck no! We have this puppy mapped out and pretty much can see all the way to the end. And beyond! We have not only outlined this book, but two companion novels as well!! So, no I’m not not writing because of any complicated twisty plot lines. 


I’m just not. It’s that simple. 


Am I being lazy? Yes.


Why? I have absolutely no idea. 


Am I busy? Yup. I have two kids, work full-time night shift, have school obligations, a husband (and lord knows he needs attention), a house (that just got a major face-lift in the front) and I have probably read at LEAST five books in the three weeks I haven’t written a word. 


Is that an excuse? Well….It shouldn’t be.


But! I’m letting it! I’m letting all the “other stuff” be my excuse to get in the way of my dream! 


Why? I have absolutely no clue in my life why I have just brushed this dream aside. I love writing! I love how I feel when I truly get in touch with my characters and get to be present while their life is happening. 


I’m not bored with the story. I just lost it. My motivation is nowhere to be found. And trust me I've looked. Everywhere. Under the rugs, inside the dishwasher, behind the dust-jackets of TONS of books, in the shower, at restaurants, in episodes of The 100 and even in the hot tub at the gym! “Hello, motivation? Where are you?”


But I guess that’s it. My motivation isn’t lost. I put it away to do other stuff. Stuff I like to do and stuff I have to do. But somewhere along the way I forgot that WRITING is important to me. I forgot that it’s OK to put my dream close to the top of the To-Do list. 


This blog-post is my spring-board today. I’m diving back into the choppy, shark infested waters that is my writing.


I will hold my nose and jump!

No comments:

Post a Comment