Whether you’re lying on a sandy beach, sitting by a mountain lake, or just hanging out on the lounge chair in the backyard, summer is made for the Two R’s: Relaxing and Reading. We’ve chosen our own TOP TEN favorite summer reads—some are old, some are newer, but all are perfect for lazy days in the sun. [Note: It is also permissible to read these indoors. The point is there should be no heavy lifting.]
Sarah’s Summer Picks:
1. ANYTHING by Kasie West!!! All of her books are incredibly sweet and fun and perfect “by the pool” reads. And bonus, her new book THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND just came out in May!
2. CINDERS & SAPPHIRES by Leila Rasheed. This historic fiction book is the perfect read for anyone needing a Downton Abbey fix! Full of intrigue, romance and incredible characters! I was pleasantly surprised by this series and couldn’t put them down!
3. THESE BROKEN STARS by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. If you’re looking for an adventurous and romantic escape from reality, this is it! The stunning Sci-Fi world of Lilac and Tarver is one of my absolute favorites!
4. THE ORPHAN QUEEN by Jodi Meadows. For something to get your pulse racing, check out this first book in an incredible new fantasy series. Plenty of twists and turns to keep the pages turning.
Heather’s Summer Picks:
1. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick. This was such a great book! Amazing characters and the story! Ugh! Love, love, love Samantha and Jase. This is perfect beach read!
2. Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally. This book is the perfect amount of romance, heartbreak and determination! The chemistry between Annie and Jeremiah is amazing and watching her grow and change so much as a person in this one book was unforgettable. I will read and re-read this book a million times and NEVER tire of Annie's story.
3. Rook by Sharon Cameron. If you're looking for a book with a fearless heroine, prison breaks, tons of suspense all wrapped up in a secret identity. Then, look no further than this! This book will grab you, reel you in and never let you go!
Monica’s Summer Picks:
1. THE SUMMER I TURNED PRETTY by Jenny Han. Don’t let the ‘turned pretty’ turn you off—it isn’t about that, it’s about one particular, life-defining summer. There’s always something special about that summer when we are about sixteen or seventeen years old. It was special for Belly—for many reasons. Romantic, fun, and heartbreaking all rolled into one great book! Oh, and it happens at the BEACH!
2. JUST ONE DAY by Gayle Forman. Love this book! Love its sequel, Just One Year. It’s summer. You’re wrapping up a post high school graduation tour of Europe. One day you’re in Stratford-Upon-Avon and you meet a gorgeous, interesting guy. He takes you to Paris, for JUST ONE DAY. It’s the day that changes your whole life. Sigh…pass the sunscreen…
3. SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater. The book that made me fall in love with all things Maggie Stiefvater. For Grace’s friend Sam, summer is very special—it is the only time he is human, because when the temperatures dip he becomes a wolf. So romantic. So heartbreaking. So beautiful. The first book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy.
And, dang, my friends Sarah and Heather beat me to a couple of books I WAS going to recommend—the Kasie West books, and MY LIFE NEXT DOOR by Huntley Fitzpatrick. I want to add my shout-out for these books to theirs! So good! And, YES, ladies, I will be reading THE WINNER’S CURSE by Marie Rutkoski! In fact it is sitting right here next to me and my glass of iced tea…
Happy Summer Reading!