Thursday, February 19, 2015

Book Review: ONLY EVERYTHING by Kieran Scott



I never have less than five books at any given time waiting to be read. Until the unthinkable happened…

Last week I found myself completely bookless!

Luckily Sarah had just gone to her local library and grabbed a gem right off the shelf and from the goodness of her heart lent it to me in my time of great need. 

Only Everything by Kieran Scott. I know I have said this before but for those of you who haven’t visited our blog: I do judge a book by its cover. And this cover did NOT disappoint!




I glanced at the jacket flap and the premise sucked me right in. (Not to mention it was Valentine’s week and this book was a perfect match!)

Here’s what Goodreads says:

Sometimes the gods can be so unreasonable.

Like Zeus, the king, who thinks the proper reaction to finding me kissing a mortal is to threaten my boyfriend Orion's life, banish me to Earth, and force me to inspire true love between three couples without my powers. I know! Elders! I'm Eros, a.k.a. Cupid. The Goddess of Love. Until this morning, anyway.

Now I'm stuck on Earth with no clue how to function as a human, and I can't even conjure up my magical bow and arrows to help me do my job. I've already met this amazing guy—Charlie, a new kid in school like me—but matching him up isn't as easy as I thought. Turns out opposites don't attract, nearly identicals don't attract, and giving a guy what he seems to want is just one big disaster. My sweet new friend Katrina might work, but she's got more complications than Medusa's hair, and a live-in boyfriend with a serious mean streak. Probably not the best idea to go there.

If I don't make a match, I may never see Orion again. I have so much to lose, and only everything to gain.

Only Everything is told in three different perspectives. I must admit I am usually hesitant to read books with more than one or two because it’s sometimes difficult to give each character the time they deserve to develop their story. That is absolutely not the case in this book! 

The three main characters are so unique and fully realized that there was never a time when I had to stop and try to figure out who was narrating. I loved each and every one of them!

True: The daughter of Aphrodite and Ares. Most people know her as Eros, or the name she truly despises: Cupid. Falls in love with Orion, a human – a big mistake. He fell from the stars on Valentine’s Day and only Eros knows because she did it. Although, she doesn’t know exactly how. Eros hides him away on a lonely island in Maine, where she visits him frequently and begins to teach him about human life in the 21st century. And because she has fallen in love with him. When Zeus and Ares find out they threaten to kill him, but Eros strikes a deal with Zeus. She will live on Earth without her powers and help three couples fall in love. If she succeeds Orion gets to live and they can be together, if she fails… well, you can imagine it won't be pretty.

Charlie: the first friend Eros makes on Earth. He is new to school and for most of his life he has been bounce around from school to school because of his dad’s job, knows what being the new kid in school is like. His dad and brothers are football kings and Charlie would rather be hammering away on a set of drums than brawling on a field. 

Katrina: Her dad was killed in a horrible car accident the year before, and because of this her once-perfect academic record is ruined. Instead of being in AP classes, she finds herself lumped in with the main-stream students who are more about making fun of the “smart” kids than doing any learning of their own. Her boyfriend, Ty, is an A-hole that is basically using her to make himself feel better and her mom hasn’t been mother of the year since her dad passed. 

Over the course of the book we learn that Charlie just wants his dad’s approval and Katrina really wants love. 

I loved how Eros (True) was just clueless when it came to dressing/sharing/personal hygiene! She spent her time with Orion - in the beginning of the book - trying to teach him the “ways” of this century when, in reality she didn’t know a dang thing about how to act around humans! When I think of her and her idea of "sharing" I just have to laugh. 

This book was such a fun fresh read that I (of course) gave it back to Sarah who has now read it as well and thoroughly enjoyed every page! Just like me!

I can’t wait to pick up book two (Bonous book three just came out!) in this series and see what shenanigans True gets into next! 

If you haven’t read this book I suggest you put it on your Kindle/Nook/go to your local book store/library, you won’t regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment