Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Why I Write/Read Young Adult


I get a lot of questions about this. Mostly in the form of: “Why do you want to write/read books for teens? Why not adults?” OR “Aren’t you a little old for that?”

And I’m like; “Hello, not that old” and also I WAS a teen/young adult/new adult.

I grew and changed and struggled just like the characters in the books I read and write. It was one of the most amazing/scary/challenging times in my life. Why would I NOT want to write/read books for young adults? 



One of my favorite things about YA books is the incredible transformations the main characters go through in the span of one (or two or more!) book! It might be a fantasy or contemporary or paranormal but no matter the genre – just as in life – the main characters experience the highest highs and the lowest lows and in the end come out stronger and ever-changed because of their experiences.



Those few years forever shape us in one way or another forever. Whether it’s first love or first heartbreak, first fight or first time standing up for yourself…in the future, past or another realm. The settings change but at the heart of the story all of these characters are strong, smart and resilient. 
Just like their readers! 



No comments:

Post a Comment