Thursday, August 7, 2014

Book Review: THE KISS OF DECEPTION by Mary E. Pearson


I had a completely different, perfectly wonderful book review that I was going to post today. But that will have to wait until next time because early this morning… Like, REALLY early (try 5am) I finished Mary E. Pearson’s THE KISS OF DECEPTION and I couldn’t wait to recommend it!

I turned the last page and almost immediately wanted to start back at the beginning. Except that I wanted to read it as a “first-timer” so I could experience every twist and turn all over again. If you haven’t read spoiler reviews… DON’T!!!

If you, like me, sometimes read the last page early on (I know, I know, my head is hanging in shame as I write this) DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Just read and enjoy!


THE KISS OF DECEPTION is Book 1 of The Remnant Chronicles and is a YA Fantasy.
We start out by meeting Princess Lia, First Daughter to the House of Morrighan, rumored to have the gift of Sight, who is preparing for her arranged marriage to the prince of an opposing kingdom, thus fulfilling her duties as First Daughter and making a political alliance to the benefit of everyone. But Lia can no longer accept the long standing traditions of her kingdom or the cost of tying herself to some stuffy, old prince whom she has no love or respect for.

With the help of her servant and friend, Lia flees on the day of her wedding and settles in a small village, disguised as a common bar maid. What follows is a display of courage and fortification as Lia embraces her new life and freedom enthusiastically. Her actions may seem selfish and ill-planned, but the underlying struggle of self-discovery and self-worth (especially for a seventeen-year old) is completely understandable and relatable.

When two handsome strangers come into town, Lia starts to believe that something once thought impossible, might actually be within her reach; to love someone who loves her for exactly who she is. What Lia doesn’t know is that one of them is the assassin sent to kill her and that the other is none other than the prince she left at the altar.

This may seem like any ole love triangle, but don’t be fooled! Pearson does an incredible job of weaving different POV’s in such a way that every time I thought I knew what was going on, she would turn it all upside down. Pearson’s use of imagery is vivid and her characters are unique and alive. Lia is a strong-willed, passionate and loyal heroine who is full of depth and heart. And the guys… well, you’re just going to have to read and find out for yourself!!!

There was a magical element to THE KISS OF DECEPTION that I wanted more of, but I think (hope) will be expanded on in the next book. The last part was full of action, adventure and heartbreak and I couldn’t put it down.

THE KISS OF DECEPTION by Mary E. Pearson is unlike anything I have read in a while and easily one of my favorite reads of this year!

Go and read it now. And if you already have, tell me what you think (but don’t SPOIL it!)

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, THANK YOU for recommending this book!! I loved it! Such an intriguing story, it really is a 'can't put it down' kind of book. Beautifully written. I agree with you--this is one of my favorite reads of the year. And now I'll wait anxiously with you for the next book!

    ReplyDelete